9.16.2009

shadow play


You know you are a full fledged student when dinner consists of a 100 calorie snack bag of Cheese-its {shared 3 ways}, two Tums tablets {not for their tummy soothing ways, but because they are there} and a handful of TicTacs.

I can't tell you how nice it was today to wander aimlessly for the better part of an hour between classes after spending all of my free time the last week on creating a pediatric hospital room that I will never get to see outside my imagination. That is still the hardest part of my projects for me. Walking away at the end with no tangible proof that the hours of thought and work I put into it would ever even work in real life.

It is an all consuming process. I get wrapped up in it so much that I can see the space from every angel, can almost smell the new carpet and paint. Research and sketches and the tiny details of putting together boards. Then to stand up in front of my peers and present it is nerve wracking. Not because I'm scared about what they'll think, but because it is the final step. The room is only as good as I can sell it. This whole place, the people I imagine using it, all of it, resides in my mind and once I put it out there I want it to be more than a three minute presentation in the mix.

And not even feeling the relief of another project completed, we are handed a stack of documents laying out the next blank slate. What now?

4 comments:

Vickers said...

Doing a hospital pediatric room would be really difficult. Would love to see a photo of your boards on that one. The photos of the rusting metals are very textural...would be great framed and used as wall art.

Cara said...

The shoe pic is my fave of this batch. I like you dinner menu. You had your dairy and grains (cheeze-its), and some fruit (flavored tums and tic-tacs). All you need is some peanut-butter for protein and your all set.

KickButtMommy said...

Darling shoes.

Anonymous said...

DV shoes. A sure sign of an important event.